They say from Cape to Cairo….so we’re heading down South to learn more about South Africa, also popularly know as Mzansi. This name is derived from Mzantsi which means South in Xhosa, one of the main languages spoken in South Africa.
South Africa has a population of over 60 million people.
Here are 5 interesting facts about South Africa.
- Johannesburg is known as the ‘Gold Capital’ of the world due to the gold mines.
- South Africa has 3 capital cities; Pretoria, Cape Town and Bloemfontein.
- The Indian ocean and the Atlantic ocean meet at Cape Agulhas, which is the Southernmost tip of Africa.
- July is Nelson Mandela month. Mandela Day, in honor of Nelson Mandela is celebrated each year on 18 July on his birthday. Throughout the month, people get to do things that positively make an impact in their communities.
- South Africa has 11 official languages and many more unofficial ones. This colorful mix of cultures gives South Africa its nickname ‘rainbow nation.’